Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Assignment #10

I can remember when I was in high school and using a calling card to call my Mom to come pick me up (don't laugh, it was once cool to get picked up by your mom). Back then, in my high school, it was the norm to receive a cell phone once you got your drivers license. Even when you had it only the coolest of the cool phones had texting capabilities. Therefore, there were not problems in my school with sexting - at least I'd like to think there were not. I think this is a problem today - most kids have access to cell phones today and are taking advantage of little liberties and privileges. I believe technology is a very powerful tool and if used to correct way can be beneficial, however, when used the wrong way can easily snowball and get out of control. I think this snowballing effect on the use of technology when teamed up with bullying has proved to be extremely costly. It is because of this, I feel that there should be more of a roll schools should take in teaching the proper use of technology. I don't have a perfect plan in place, but I do think that there must be some preventative steps that could be taken to prevent the improper use of text messaging. I think everyone can agree that times have changed and when times change, people change, therefore, why do we fight addressing some of this huge issues?
Bullying is something that no child should ever have to experience. Growing up in a huge family myself, I was on the short end of the stick with some misfortunes when I was younger. However, I think what I went through and bullying are two totally different topics. Bullying seems to take things to the next level of inappropriateness. I know it is not easy to do, but identifying a way to prevent things before they become a problem would be key in situations like this.
I would love to see some changes made in schools that can prevent inappropriate use of technology. I watch my little sister text with out even looking at her phone, which proves to me that she has found ways to text during school without being caught. I think things like this need to be addressed, I feel like she is not getting the most out of her day in school.

No comments:

Post a Comment