Sunday, February 27, 2011

Assignment #6 - Task 1

I believe that the implementation of 21st century skills should be more of a part in schools curriculum's today. "The United States is facing an increasingly competitive world market driven by digital globalization" states Susan McLester and Todd McIntire in the article The Workforce Readiness Crisis and I believe that because of this these 21st Century skills must become more polished in our youth today. 
I can easily relate to this debate because I was hired out of college to work in finance. When being interviewed I was asked the question: are you able to use technology as an effective tool? I would answer "yes" thinking I was an advanced technology learner. I came to learn quickly that I was not as proficient in technology as I originally thought. I remember feeling embarrassed that I did not know some things that my fellow colleagues knew. I wish there was some way I could have been taught this information so that I could have been more prepared. 
I don't think that the education I had was worthless but I do think that the integration between academics and life skills could have been more evident. As stated in the article: The Value of Teaching 21 Century Skills: "Some teachers will need additional training to get there, the frameworks will need to be enhanced, and the vision of a "typical" classroom will need to be rethought." I think that with time comes change and this statement is merely just another way to relate it to education. 
Therefore, I do believe that teaching more students like skills or 21st Century skills is the key to success for students today.

1 comment:

  1. Experience gives you a perspective. Traditional schooling gets you ready for what - working at a university (sounds like Sir Robinson). It makes you think that there is something to this idea of 21st century skills.

    ReplyDelete