Sunday, February 27, 2011

Assignment #6 - Task 2

After watching the video Do Schools Kill Creativity narrated by Sir Ken Robinson, I was very intrigued by what he had to say. I have to admit, when I first went to watch the film, I saw that it was twenty minutes long, and I was not happy about watching a clip that was that long. While watching, I found myself getting more and more interested in what Sir Robinson had to say. I thought he made a very compelling argument as to why the schools had the arts at the bottom of their curriculum. He started off by asking why he believed it to be okay to make mistakes. Children, he says, are not afraid to be wrong and he wonders where this fear goes from their youth to when they become older.
He also says that we don't grow into creativity, we grow out of it. I thought this to be an interesting take and it really made me think and I couldn't agree more. He then says that ceativity is the process of having original ideas that have value. Based off this definition and based off the idea of how we don't grow into creativity these thoughts have merit.
I think that there is room for more creativity in schools and these ideas listed above need to be addressed. We need to be apart of schools that encourage students to be creative, and that it is okay to make mistakes. It is important to make mistakes so that we learn from them. Now so, more than ever, we should make room for more creativity in schools because of today's current economic situation. If there is more creativity, there will be more ideas that have value. I think we all can agree that we can use some more innovative ideas that have value in today's society. By encouraging students to be more creative throughout their education, instead of just their early education, we will have more people who are able to have ideas with value.

3 comments:

  1. Yes Tom, Sir Robinson message was intriguing. I think we have to understand how creative people can be thinking outside the box in a non-traditional way. Place more value on what people do not know and find more creative ways to tap into their intelligence..

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is very entertaining and engaging - I believe these should be 21st century skills (if not for students, then for teachers - that way we can keep students interested).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the biggest things I got from the video was one aspect you mentioned. It's okay to make mistakes. If we stop being so hard on ourselves first that can transend outward.

    ReplyDelete